Ha Noi

History - Orientation - Information - Dangers Annoyances - Sights - Activities - Walking Tour - Courses - Ha Noi For Childern - Tour - Festivals Events - Sleeping - Eating - Drinking - Entertainment - Shopping - Getting There Away - Getting Around - Around Ha Noi - Ho Chi Minh Trail Museum - Perfume Pagoda - Handicraft Villages - Thay Tay Phuong Pagoadas - Ba Vi National Park - Co Loa Citadel - Tam Dao Hill Station.


Old Quarter
This is the Asia we dreamed of from afar. Steeped in history, pulsating with life, bubbling with commerce, buzzing with motorbikes and rich in exotic scents, the Old Quarter is Hanoi's historic heart. The streets are narrow and congested, and crossing the road is an art form, but remember to look up as well as down, as there is some elegant old architecture in and among the chaos. Hawkers pound me streets, sizzling and smoking baskets hiding a cheap meal for the locals Pho stalls and bia hoi dens hug every corner, resonant with the sound of gossip and laughter Modern yet medieval, there is no better way to spend time in Hanoi than walking the streets. .soaking up the sights, sounds and smelts. Home to a thousand years of history, the commercial quarter of the city evolved along side the Red River and the smaller To Lich River, which once flowed through [he city centre in an intricate network of canals and waterways, teeming with boats. Waters could rise as high as 8m during the monsoon. Dikes were constructed to protect the city and these can still be seen along Tran Quang Khai. In the 13th century Hanoi's 36 guilds established themselves here, each taking a different street - hence the original name '36 Streets'. Today, there are more than 50 streets in today's Old Quarter. Hang means ‘merchandise’ and is usually followed by the name of the product that was traditionally sold in that street.Thus,Pho Hang Gai translates as ‘Silk Street’ (see the boxed text for the rest);these days the street name may not indicate what’s sold there,otherwise there would be lost of Pho Hang Du Lich (Tour-ism StreetsExploring the inaze of back -streets is fas cinating: some streets open up while others narrow into a warren of alleys. The area is known for its tunnel (or tube) houses -so called because of their narrow frontages and long rooms. These tunnel houses were developed to avoid taxes based on the width of then street frontage By feudal law, houses werealso limited to two storeys and, out of respect for the king, could not be taller than the Royal Palace. These days there are taller buildings, but no real high-rise buildings. Opportunities to dispense with your dong are endless. As you wander around you'll find clothes, cosmetics, fake sunglasses, luxury food, T - shirts, musical instruments, plumb ing supplies, herbal medicines, jewellers', religious offerings, spices, woven mats and much, much more. Some of the specialised streets include Pho Hang Quat, with its red candlesticks, funeral boxes, flags and temple items; and the more glamorous Pho Hang Gai, with its silk, embroidery, lacquer-ware, paintings and water puppets - silk sleeping-bag liners and! elegant ao dai (the national dress of Vietnam) are popular here. Finally, no trip to the Old Quarter would he complete without a visit to the Dong Xuan Market ( cnr Pho Hang Khoai & Pho Dong Xuan), rebuilt after a fire in 1994. A stroll through the historic Old Quarter can last anywhere from an hour to the better part of a day, depending on your pace. However long, or whatever detours you might take. the Walking Tour will provide you with a heady dose of Vietnamese culture, lots of shopping opportunities and some insight into the city's long history.
Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Complex
This is the holiest of the holies for many Vietnamese. To the west of the Old Quarter, the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum complex (entrance cnr Pho Ngoc Ha & Pho Doi Can) is an important place of pilgrimage for many Vietnamese, combin¬ing the secular and the spiritual. A traffic-free area of parks, monuments, memorials and pagodas, it's usually crowded with groups of all ages who have come to pay their respects.
In the tradition of Lenin and Stalin before him - and Mao afterwards - Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum (admission free; 8-11am Tue-Thu, Sat & Sun Dec-Sep, last entry usually 10.15am) is a monumental marble edifice that is a mecca for many Vietnamese. Contrary to his desire for a simple cremation, the mausoleum was constructed of native materials gathered from all over Vietnam between 1973 and 1975. The roof and peristyle are said to evoke either a traditional communal house or a lotus flower, though to many tourists it looks like a concrete cubicle with columns. Set deep in the bowels of the building in a glass sarcophagus is the body of Ho Chi Minh. The mausoleum is closed for about three months each year while Ho Chi Minh's embalmed corpse goes to Russia for maintenance. Some -sceptics have suggested Madame Tussaud's lias the contract these days. The queue, which moves quite quickly, usually snakes for several hundred metres tc the mausoleum entrance itself. Inside, more guards, regaled in snowy-white military uniforms, are posted at intervals of five paces giving an eerily authoritarian aspect to the slightly macabre spectacle of the embalmed body with its wispy while hair. The following rules are strictly applied to all visitors to the mausoleum:
People wearing shorts, tank tops and so on will not be admitted. Nothing (including day packs, cameras and mobiles) can be taken inside. Maintain a respectful demeanour at all times: no talking or sniggering For obvious reasons of decorum, photography is absolutely prohibited inside the mausoleum. It is forbidden to put your hands in your pockets.Hats must be taken off inside the mauso leum building. Most of the visitors are Vietnamese and it's interesting to watch their reactions. Most show deep respect and admiration for Ho Chi Minh, who is honoured for his role us the liberator of the Vietnamese people from colonialism, as much as for his communist ideology. This view is reinforced by Vietnam’s educational system, which emphasises Ho’s deeds and accomplishments. If you're lucky, you’llcatch the changing of the guard outside Ho's mausoleum - the pomp and ceremony displayed here rivals she British equivalent at Buckingham Palace. Photography is permitted outside the building but not inside and visitors must leave their bags and mobile phones at a counter just inside the entrance.
Behind Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum is a stilt house (Nha San Bac Ho; admission 5000d, 8-11am & 2-4pm), where Ho lived on and off from 1958 to 1969. The house is an upmarket interpretation of traditional rural dwelling, and has been preserved just as Ho left it. Its set in a well-tended garden next to a carp-filled pond. Just how much lime he actually spent here is questionable the house would have been a tempting target for US bombers had it been suspected that Ho was hanging out here. In stark contrast to the understated stit house is the imposing Presidential Palace a beautifully restored colonial building constructed in 1906 as the Palace of the. Governor General of Indochina. It is now used for official receptions and isn’t open to the public. There is a combined entrance gate to the stilt house and Presidential Palace grounds on Pho Ong Ich Kiem,inside the mausoleum complex; when the main mausoleum entrance is closed,enter from D Hung Vuong near the palace building.
The two separate sectioua of the Ho Chi Minh Museum (Bao Tang Ho Chi Minh; admission 5000d:8-11am & 1.30 – 4.30pm Tue-Thu, Sat & Sun)relate to the past and future.Start in the past and move to the future by walking in a clockwise direction downwards through the museum,starting from the right – hand side of the top the stairs. The modern display all have messages,such as ‘peace’,’happiness’ and ‘freedoom’. It's probably worth taking an English - speaking guide, since some of the symbolism is hard to Interpret.The 1958 Ford Edsel bursting through the wall - a US commercial failure to symbolise its military failure is a knockout- All in ail, it'sslightly surreal,but worth a visit if time allows. The museum is the huge cement structure next to Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum. Photo graphy is forbidden and, upon entry you must leave bags and cameras at reception.
A Hanoi landmark, the One Pillar Pagoda (Chua Mot Cot; Pho Ong Ich Kiem) was built by the Emperor Ly Thai Tong, who ruled from 1028 to 1054. According to the annals, the heirless emperor dreamed that he had met Quan The Am Bo Tat, the Goddess of Mercy, who, while seated on a lotus flower, handed hi in a male child. Ly Thai Tong then married A young peasant girl and had a son and heir in- her. As a way of expressing his gratitude for this event, he constructed this pagoda in 1049 The delicate One Pillar Paged; built of wood on a single stone pillar, is designed to resemble a lotus blossom, the .symbol of purity, rising out ot a sea of sorrow. One of the last (malicious and pointless) acts of the French before quitting Hanoi in 1954 was to destroy the original One Pillar Pagoda; the structure was rebuilt by the new government. The pagoda is between the mausoleum and the museum.
Temples & Pagodas
A rare example of well-preserved traditional Vietnamese architecture, the Temple of Literature (Van Mieu;Tell: 845 2917; Pho Quoc Tu Giam; admission 5000d;8am-5pm) is a relaxing retreat from the noisy streets of Hanoi. If you only plan to visit one temple m Hanoi, be sure to make it this one It was founded in 1070 by Emperor Ly Thanh Tong, who dedicated it to Confucius (Khong Tu) in order to honour scholars and men of literary accomplishment. Vietnam's first university was established here in 1076 to educate the sons of mandarins In 1484 Emperor Le Thanh Tong ordered that stelae be erected to record the names, places of birth and achievements of men who received doctorates in triennial examinations held from 1442. Although 116 examinations were held between 1442 and 1778, when the practice was discontinued, only 82 stelae are extant. In 1802 Emperor Gia Long transferred the National University to his new capital. Hue. Major renovations were earned out here in 1920 and 1956. The Temple ot Literature is made up of five separate courtyards. The central pathways and gates between them were reserved for the king. The walkways on one side were for the use of administrative mandarins, while those on the other side were for military mandarins. The main entrance is preceded by a gate, on which there's an inscription requesting that visitors dismount their horses before entering. Make sure you do. Khue Van Pavil ion, at the far side of the second courtyard, was constructed in 1802 and is a fine example of Vietnamese architecture. The 82 stelae, considered to be the most precious artefacts in the temple, are arrayed to cither side ot the third enclosure; each one sits on a stone tortoise. The secular intrudes on the spiritual these. days, with a host of souvenir shops flank ing the Thai Hoc courtyard. Everything from postcards to retired water puppets arc avail able but bargain hard as prices are high. The Temple of Literature is about 2km west ofHoan Kiem Lake.
Founded in the 18th century, Ngoc Son Temple (Jade Mountain Temple;admission 2000d; 8am 5pm) is on an island in the northern part of Hoan Kiem Lake. Surrounded by water and shaded by trees, it is a delightfully quiet place to escape the bustle of Hanoi. The temple is dedicated to the scholar Van Xuong, General Tran Hung Dao, who defeated the Mongols in the 13th century, and La To, the patron saint ot physicians. Ngoc Son Temple is reached via the red The Hue (Rising Sun) Bridge, constructed in 1885. The nearby Martyrs'Monument was erected to those who died fighting !or Vietnam's independence,
The official centre of Buddhism in Hanoi. the Ambassadors' Pagoda (Chua Quan Su; Tell: 825 2427; 73 Pho Quan Su) attracts quite a crowd on holidays. During the 17th century there was a guesthouse here for the ambassadors of Buddhist countries- Today there are about a dozen monks and nuns based at the Ambassadors' Pagoda- Next to the pagoda is a shop selling Buddhist ritual objects. The Ambassadors' Pagoda is located be tween Pho Ly Thuong Kiet and Pho Tran Hung Dao.
Nestled in a corner of the Old Quarter, the small Bach Ma Temple ( crr Pho Hang Buom & Pho Hang Giay) is the oldest temple In the city It was built by King Ly Thai To to honour a white horse that guided him to the site to construct his city walls. The pagoda includes a statue of the legendary white horse, as well as a beautiful red-lacquered funeral palanquin.
Two kilometres south of Hoan Kiem Lake, this temple ( Pho ThoLao) was founded in 1142. A statue shows the two Trung sisters (who lived in the 1st century AD) kneeling with their arms raised in the air, as if they are addressing a crowd. Some say the statue shows the sisters, who had been proclaimed the queens of the Vietnamese, about to dive into a river. They are said to have drowned themselves rather than surrender following their defeat at the hands of the Chinese.
Shaded by huge trees, Quan Thanh Tempte was established during the Ly dynasty (1010-1225) and was dedicated to Tran Vo (God of the North), whose symbols of power were the tortoise and the snake. A bronze statue and bell date from 1677. The temple is on the shores of Truc Bach Lake, near the intersection of Ð Thanh Nien and Pho Quan Thanh.
The most popular spot for worship in Hanoi is at Tay Ho Pagoda ( Pho lay Ho). Throngs of people come here on the first and 15th day of each lunar month in the hope of receiving good fortune. The entrance includes a col ourful lane of stalls selling temple offerings and food, while a line of good fresh seafood restaurants fronts the lake. It's a great place to watch the world go by.
One of the oldest in Vietnam, Tran Quoc Pagoda is on the eastern shore of Ho Tay, just off Ð Thanh Nien, which divides Ho Tay from True Bach Lake. A stele here, dating from 1639, tells the history of this site. The pagoda was rebuilt in the 15th century and again in 1842. There are a number of monks' funerary monuments in the garden.
It's worth noting that in addition to the usual two-hour lunch break, most of the museums in Hanoi are closed on Monday.
The Musee de FHomme in Paris helped design the wonderful Vietnam Museum of Ethnology (Tell:756 2193; Ð Nguyen Van Huyen; admission 20,000d; 8.30am-5.30pm Tue-Sun). It features a fascinating collection of.irt and everyday objects gathered from Vietnam and its diverse tribal people. The museum lias excellent maps and the displays are well labelled in Vietnamese, Fench and English. Interesting sections portray a typical village market, the making of conical hats, and a Tay shamanic ceremony while videos show the real-life contexts. There are fabulous displays of weaving and fabric motifs. Visitors can also enter a traditional Black Thai house reconstructed within the museum, and there are outdoor exhibits in [lie landscaped grounds. Ede, H'mong and Jarai houses are popular places to pose for wedding photos; quite a surreal sight. There are often special exhibitions, including the current display on life in the early 1980s under the- coupon system. This could become a permanent feature, as it is so well presented and surprisingly honest about the hardships of life at the time. A craft shop - affiliated with Craft Link, which is a fair-trade organisation - sells books, beautìul postcards, and arts and crafts from ethnic communities. The museum is quite a way from central Hanoi, but it shouldn't be missed
Getting There & Away
The museum is in the Cau Giay district. About 7km from the city centre. A good way to get here is by rented bicycle (30 minutes). If you're short of time or energy, an air-con metcred taxi costs around 40,000d each way. The cheapest way to get here is to take local bus 14 (3500d) from Hoan Kiem Lake and get off at the junction between Ð Hoang Quoc Viet and Ð Nguyen Van Huyen.
A must for the architecture more than the collection, the History Museum (Bao Tang Lich Su; 1 Pho Trang Tien; admission 15,000d; 8-11.30am & 1.30-4.30pm Tue-Sun) was formerly home to the Ecole Francaise d'Extreme Orient in Vietnam. It is an elegant, ochre-coloured structure built between 1925 and 1932. French architect Ernest Hebrard was among the first in Vietnam to incorporate a blend of Chinese and French design elements in his creations, and this particular building remains one of Hanoi's most stunning architectural showpieces. Collections here cover the ups more than the downs of Vietnamese history. Highlights include some excellent bronzes from the Dong Son culture (3rd century BC to 3rd century AD) and some striking Hindu statuary from the Khmer and Champa kingdoms. More re¬cent history is a little one-sided and includes the struggle against the French and the story of the Communist Party,
A must for all budding revolutionaries, the history of the Vietnamese Revolution is enthusiastically presented in this museum (Bao Tang Cach Mang; 216 Pho Tran Quang Khai; admission 10,000d; 8-11.45am&1.30-4,15pmTue-Sun). It's diagonally across the road from the History Museum.
It is worth making a detour to this delightful house ( 87 Pho Ma May; admission 5000d; 9-1130am&2-5pm), north of Hoan Kiem I.ake in the Old Quarter. This thoughtfully restored traditional Chinese-style dwelling is sparsely but beautifully decorated, and offers a bygone glimpse into the lives of local merchants in the Old Quarter. The restoration of the house was carried out in 1999 in cooperation with the city of Toulouse, France. While there are many such living museums in Hoi An, there is nothing else like this in Hanoi.
The former French Ministry of Information is home to Hanoi's Fine Arts Museum (8ao Tang My Thuat; 66 Pho Nguyen Thai Hoc; admission 10.000d; 9.15am-5pmTue-Sun). The collection here includes some very intricate sculptures, paintings, lacquerware, ceramics and other traditional Vietnamese fine arts. It's a good starting point for anyone seriously considering investing in Vietnamese art. Reproductions of antiques are on sale here, but be sure to ask for a certificate to clear these goods through customs when you leave Vietnam. The Fine Arts Museum is on the coiner of Pho Cao Ba Quat, across the street from the northern wall of the Temple of Literature.
There are some engaging displays in the worthy Women's Museum (Bao Tang Phu Nu; 36 Pho Ly Thuong Kiet; admission 20,000d;8am-4pmL The inevitable tribute to women soldiers is balanced by some great exhibits from the in ternational women's movement protesting the American War. And there's much more in terms of cultural and political information. The 4th floor includes different costumes worn by the women of the ethnic-minority groups, and examples of tribal basketware and fabric motifs. This is one place where many of the exhibits have multilingual explanations.
Easy to spot thanks to a large collection ui weaponry out front, the Army Museum (Bao lang Quan Doi;Pho Dien Bien Phu; admission 20,000d; 8-11.30am & 1.30-4.30pm Tue-Sun) displays Soviet and Chinese equipment alongside French and US-made weapons captured during years of warfare. The centrepiece is a Soviet-built MiG-21 jet fighter, triumphant amid the wreckage of French aircraft downed at Dien Bien Phu, and a US F- 111. The displays include scale models of various epic battles from the long military history of Vietnam, including Dien Bien Phu and the capture of Saigon. Next to the Army Museum is the hexagonal Flag Tower, which has become one of the symbols of Hanoi. Some museum guards may offer to show you this lower, but will then ask for US$10 to pay for the privilege.
This thought-provoking site is all that remains of the former Hoa Lo Prison (Tell: 824 6358; 1 Pho Hoa Lo, cnr Pho Hai Ba Trung; admission 5000d; 8-n.30am& 1.30-4.30pm Tue-Sun), ironically nicknamed the 'Hanoi Hilton' by US POWs during the American War. Those incarcerated at Hoa Lo included Pete Peterson, who later became the first US Ambassador to a unified Vietnam in 1995, and Senator john McCain. The vast prison complex was built by the French in 1896. Originally intended to house around 450 inmates, records indicate that by the 1930s there were close to 2000 prisoners. Much of the prison was razed to make room for the Hanoi Towers skyscraper, though the section at the front of the site has been thoughtfully preserved and restored as a museum - look for the sign over the gate reading 'Maison Centrale'. There are some English and French labels corresponding with the displays, and it is possible to find an English speaking guide on site. The bulk of the exhibits here relate to the prison's use up to the mid-1950s, focusing on the Vietnamese struggle for independ-ence from France. Notable gruesome exhibits in the dark chambers include an ominous French guillotine that was used to behead Viet namese revolutionaries during the colonial period, and the fetters with which were chained to the bunks. Even allowing for the propaganda, it looks like the treatment of Americans by the Vietnamese was ìnfinitely better than that of Vietnamese nationalists by the French. There are also mug shots on display of Americans and Vietnamese who served time at Hoa Lo. Missing in Action (M1A) teams continue to search for remains of missing US air personnel all over Vietnam.

The epicentre of old Hanoi, Hoan Kiem Lake is an enchanting body of water. Legend has it that, in the mid-15th century, Heaven sent Emperor Le Thai To (formerly Le Loi) a magical sword, which he used to drive the Chinese out of Vietnam. One day after the war he happened upon a giant golden tortoise swimming on the surface of the water; the creature grabbed the sword and disappeared into the depths of the lake. Since that time, the lake has been known as Ho Hoan Kiem (Lake of the Restored Sword) because the tortoise restored the sword to its divine owners. Ngoc Son Temple sits on an island near the northern end of Hoan Kiem Lake. The ramshackle Thap Rua (Tortoise Tower), on an islet near the southern end of the lake, is lopped with a red star and is often used as an emblem of Hanoi, Early risers should make for the lake, as every morning around 6am local residents can be seen doing their traditional t'ai chi on the shore. It's a graceful sight, plus there are joggers and games of badminton.
The largest lake in Hanoi - about 13km in circumference- the shores of HoTay are fast developing a reputation as a desirable place to live for those that can afford the luxury villas. To the south of the lake, along Ð Thuy Khue, there's a string of popular seafood res-taurants that are de rigeur for a local night out. To the east are some luxury hotel and an emerging enclave of restaurants, bars and boutiques. The rest is mainly residential. Two legends explain the origins of Ho 'lay, which is also known as the Lake of Mist and the Big Lake. According to one legend. Ho Tay was created when the Dragon King drowned an evil nine-tailed fox in his lair, which was in a forest on this site. Another legend relates that in the 11th century a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, Khong Lo, rendered a great service to the emperor of China, who rewarded him with a vast quantity of bronze from which he cast into a huge bell. The sound of the bell could be heard all the way to China, where the Golden Buffalo Calf, mistaking the ringing for its mother's call, ran southward, trampling on the site of Ho Tay and turning it into a lake. The geological explanation is that the lake-was created when Song Hong (Red River) overflowed its hanks. The flood problem has been partially controlled by building dikes And the highway along the eastern side of Ho Tay is built upon one.
This lake (Ho Truc Bach) is separated from Ho Tay by Ð Thanh Nien, which is lined with flame trees.During the 18th century the Trinh lords built a palace on the lakeside; it wax later tranformed into a reformatory for wayward royal concubines, who were condemned to spend their days weaving a pure white silk.
St.Joseph Cathedral
ping inside the Old Quarter's neo-Gothic St Joseph Cathedral ( Pho Nha Tho; main gate 5 am & 5-7pm) is a journey to medieval Europe.The cathedral, inaugurated in 1886, is noteworthy for its square towers, elaborate altar and stained-glass windows. Unfortunately, it is in dire need of a paint job these days. The cathedral stands facing the western end of Pho Nha Tho, which is a fashionable strip of restaurants, cafes and boutiques. The main gate to St Joseph Cathedral is open when Mass is held. Guests are welcome at other times of the day. but must enter the cathedral via the compound of the Diocese of Hanoi, the entrance to which is a block away at 40 Pho Nha Chung. Walking through the main gate, go straight and then turn right. When you reach the side door to the cath-edral; ring the small bell high up to the right hand side of the door and someone should
Thu Le Park & Zoo
With its vast expanses of shaded grass and ponds, Thu Le Park & Zoo (Bach Thu Le,admissson 2000d; 4am-IOpm) is about 4km west of Hoan Kiem Lake. While it's not Singapore Zoo,it is not one of Asia's horror shows ei-ther, and children will enjoy the fun park and swam pedal boats. The easiest way to get here is by metered taxi. From Hoan Kiem Lake, bus 9 runs right past the park.
Unbelievably, there ore tortoises in the mysterious and murky waters of Hoan Kiem Lake. Surfacing on rare occasions, and bringing luck to anyone fortunate enough to see one. the Sword Lake tortoise (Rafetus leloii) is not just your common garden-variety tortoise: it is a huge beast. A specimen that died in 1968 weighed in at 250kg and was 2.1m long! Its preserved remains are on show in the Ngoc Son Temple complex. together with a photo taken of a tortoise that appeared in the lake in 2000. No-one is sure how many there still are, or how they have survived in this urban setting. Rumours abound. Are these really the lake-dwelling descendants of the golden tortoise of Le Thai To? Or are they safeguarded in enclosures elsewhere and transported to the lake from time to time, where their occasional appearance is simply an orchestrated ploy to keep the legend of the lake alive? Those ripples on the lake surface will never seem so innocent again.
street name.........description................streetname............description

Bat Dan.............. wooden bowls..........Hang Giay..............paper or shoes
BatSu.................china bowls..............Hang Hanh.............onions
ChaCa................roasted fish...............Hang Hom............. cases
Chan Cam..........string instruments......Hang Huong........... mcense
Cho Gao.............rice market...............Hang Khay.............trays
Gia Ngu..............fishermen.................Hang Khoai............sweet potatoes
Hai Tuong...........sandals....................Hang Luoc............ combs
Hang Bac...........silversmiths...............Hang Ma............... votive papers
Hang Be.............rafts.........................Hang Main..............pickied fish..
Hang Bo........... .baskets....................Hang Manh.............bamboo screens
Hang Bong..........cotton......................Hang Muoi..............salt
Hang Buom........sails........................ Hang Ngang............transversal street
Hang But............brushes....................Hang Non...............hats
Hang Phen..............alum
Hang Can...........scales..................... Hang
Hang Chai..........bottles..................... Hang Ruoi...............dam worms
Hang Chi............threads.....................Hang Than..............charcoal
Hang Chieu........mats........................ Hang Thiec.............tin
Hang Chinh.........jars..........................Hang Thung............barrels
Hang Cot............bamboo lattices........Hang Tre................bamboo
Hang Da.............leather.....................Hang Trong.............drums
Hang Dao...........(silk) dye's................Hang Vai................cloth
Hang Dan...........beans or oils............LoRen.....................blacksmiths
Hang Dieu..........pipes.......................LoSu......................coffins
Hang Oong.........copper....................MaMay...................rattan
Hang Ouong.......sugar......................Ngo Gach............... bricks
Hang da.............chicken..................Thuoc Bac...............herbal medicines
Hang Gai............siik